The HELB Student Portal has been activated by the Kenyan Higher Education Loans Board for the 2023/2024 student loan applications. Interested and qualified students are to create a HELB account and log into the HELB Student Portal to apply for loans either as HELB subsequent applicants or first-time applicants using the guidelines provided in this article.
About the Kenyan Higher Education Loan Board – HELB
The Higher Education Loan Board is a state corporation and financial institution that provides loan services to University and TVET students. The payment for Self-sponsored students is paid directly into the account of the student’s institution. A student sponsored by a government agency such as KUCCPS will receive part of the payment as upkeep in their bank account and the other part is paid to the institution.
A student under the HELB loan is entitled to receive an amount of KES 4000 per semester and they will receive payment throughout the duration of their study.
Features of the HELB Student Portal
The Higher Education Loan Board – HELB student portal comes with numerous features that allow students to manage and complete loan activities online. Some of these activities are;
- Check Helb Loan Statement
- Helb Loan Repayment
- Management of Loan deductions by employers
4 Ways to Access the HELB Self-Service
The HELB self-service allows both students and employers to access all HELB services online without the need to visit the office. All these services are made available to users and can be accessed from any part of Kenya via the following channels.
- HELB USSD Shortcode
- HELB Mobile App (IOS, ANDROID)
- HELB Call Center (0711 052 000)
- HELB Email Service
How Does the HELB Student Portal Work
The Helb student portal is very easy to use. When you register and log in you will have access to services from loan application to allocation and funds disbursement.
Who can use the HELB portal? Any registered or existing students can have free and unlimited access to the portal.
HELB Loan Registration Process
The first stage of the HELB student loan application process is for a student to create an account and log in to access all the available services. Below is a guide on how to complete your HELB student portal registration;
- Visit the HELB Website
- Click on the Student Portal Link
- Scroll down and click on the Signup button
- Fill out the required information on the next page ( ID Number and Firstname on your ID)
- Select the type of ID card
- Click on the Validate Button
- A link will be sent to your email with a link to complete your registration process
- You can now Log in to your account and apply for the HELB Student Loan
Note: Check your Spam folder inside your email in case you did not see the link inside your inbox.
HELB Sign in
Students can log into their HELB student loan portal after successfully creating the HELB account with the following guidelines;
- Visit the HELB login page
- Enter your Email and Password
- Click on the login button
- Wait for the system to authenticate and redirect you to the dashboard
How to apply for HELB Loan
A student who is interested in applying for a HELB loan must first register for an account and then log in to the HELB loan dashboard to complete their loan application. Check our comprehensive guide to how to apply for a HELB loan with the following link. HELB loan application.
Applicants may also access the new Higher Education Financing – HEF Portal to check their eligibility and apply for loans and scholarships.
How to Check HELB Loan Application Status on the phone
- Dial the HELB USSD shortcode *642#
- Select option 1 for login.
- Enter your PIN.
- Select option 1 for Loan application and Disbursement.
- For the Disbursement report select option 1 and select the academic year. Your loan disbursement report will be sent to your line via SMS.