The Higher Education Loans Board – HELB Online Application for 2023/2024 has just been announced. Applications are being accepted from students placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) and self-sponsored programs at private and public universities in Kenya.
In this post, we will discuss how to apply for a HELB loan online for first time applicants and continuing students using the HELB Student Portal. We will also look at the requirements for the application for a HELB loan and the application deadline.
Requirements for HELB Loan Application 2023
Applicants are required to provide the following documents and information to complete the Higher Education Loan – HELB application process;
- A copy of your national identification card.
- Copies of your parents’ national identification cards/death certificates, if the parent is deceased.
- Copies of both guarantors’ national identification cards.
- A copy of the admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate of the applicant.
- A copy of the applicant’s bank ATM/bank card (for government-sponsored students only)
- A copy of your institution’s Smart Card.
- One coloured passport photo.
How to apply for HELB Loan Online
You can apply for Higher Education Loans – HELB online with the following guidelines;
- Visit the HELB Loan Application Portal
- Click on the student portal link
- Click on the Signup button to create an account
- Login and browse to Loan Application section
- Click and select your preferred Loan Application ( Eg. Loan First Time Loan Application Form).
- Read and evaluate your financial literacy online, and understand the purpose of credit.
- Access the Loan Application Form and fill it out.
- Print 2 copies of the filled Loan Application form and Sign where necessary.
- Present one copy of the filled forms and all the attached documents at any of the HELB centers nearest to you.
- Keep a copy of the completed and signed Loan Application Form
How to apply for HELB Loan on the HELB Mobile App
The HELB mobile app is another application channel that can be used by applicants to submit their HELB loan request online. These guidelines will assist you on how to complete the HELB application process on your Android Smartphone.
- visit the Google play store and download the HELB Mobile App
- Register your details (First name, Phone, Email Address, National ID and KRA PIN number).
- Generate a PIN which you will use to log in and accept the license agreement.
- Ensure that you use the Safaricom number that you use for MPESA transactions and it should be registered in your name.
- Read the mandatory financial literacy notes and undertake a brief Question & Answer to appreciate the purpose of credit.
- Scroll down to view results then click proceed.
- Click on loans then select undergraduate loans to get the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Fill out the required details and submit the form.
- A pop-up message with a loan serial number will appear to show that you have successfully applied.
Read Also: HELB Student Portal
How much is the HELB Loan
- The HELB loan is based on the tyan applicant’s institution (University, TVET) and the duration of one’s programme. Undergraduate university students may be eligible for loans ranging from KES 40,000 to KES 60,000 per year.
- HELB loans provided to students placed through Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) are divided between tuition fees and upkeep costs whiles self-sponsored students have their tuition payments transferred directly to the university once a year.
- HELB loans come with a 4% interest rate and a KES1,000 ledger every year, with a maximum Undergraduate loan amount of KES60,000 per academic year.
- The number of HELB loans available to a student depends on the duration of one’s program. (Eg. In a four (4) year program, a loan will be issued four times to the applicant).
HELB Loan Application Deadline 2023
The closing date for the HELB student loan application is scheduled for Wednesday, 30th November 2023. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be processed.
Read Also: KUCCPS Courses and Requirements
HELB Contact Centre
For general enquiries or challenges, you can reach the HELB support team with the following contact information
- [email protected]
- Operating Hours: 8.00 am – 5.00 pm