Application for HELB Loan 2023. HELB (Higher Education Loans Board) is a financial institution in Kenya that provides loans and scholarships to students pursuing higher education. However, please note that scholarship programs and application procedures may change over time.
Therefore, it’s always a good idea to visit the official HELB website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information. Nevertheless, In this post, we will provide you with general guidelines on how to apply for a HELB scholarship as a second or subsequent applicant.
How to Get a HELB Loan for the First Time
- Eligibility Check: Determine if you meet the eligibility criteria for the HELB scholarship program. Eligibility requirements may include academic performance, financial need, and other specific criteria set by the organization. Check the HELB website or their scholarship advertisements for specific requirements
- Gather Required Documents: Collect all the necessary documents required for the scholarship application. This may include academic transcripts, admission letters, national identification documents, and any other documents specified in the application guidelines
- Create a HELB Account: Visit the HELB website and create an account if you don’t already have one. This will allow you to access the scholarship application form and other relevant information
- Scholarship Application Form: Log in to your HELB account and find the scholarship application form. Fill out the form accurately and provide all the required details. Make sure to double-check the information before submitting the application.
- Attach Supporting Documents: Upload or attach all the necessary supporting documents as specified in the application form. These documents will vary depending on the specific scholarship program
- Submit the Application: After completing the application form and attaching the required documents, submit your application through the online system as per the instructions provided. Ensure that you submit your application before the specified deadline
- Follow-up and Communication: Stay updated on the progress of your application. HELB may communicate with you regarding your application status or request additional information. Keep an eye on your email and any notifications from HELB
- Await Selection and Notification: The selection process may involve evaluating applications based on various criteria, including academic merit and financial need. If you are shortlisted, you will be notified by HELB through the contact information you provided in your application. Be patient during this period and await the results
HELB Loan Requirements
- A copy of your national ID Card
- Copies of the parents’ National ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ National ID Card
- A copy of your admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of your Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of your Smart Card from the institution
- One recent colored passport size photograph of the applicant
Type of Loan Application
Below are the two types of undergraduate loan applications
- First Time Application -This is for applicants who are applying for the first time
- Second & Subsequent Application -This is for applicants who are applying for the second, third, fourth time as per the program duration
Note: The number of loans one is eligible for depends on the program duration. For example, one is given loan 4 times for a 4-year program or 5 times for a 5-year programme
How to apply on the HELB App as a Second and Subsequent applicant
- Visit Google play store and download the HELB Mobile Application.
- Register your details (First name, Phone, Email Address, National ID and KRA PIN number)
- Generate a PIN which you will use to log in
- Accept the license agreement
- Ensure that you use the Safaricom number that you use for Mpesa transactions and it should be registered in your name
- Read the mandatory financial literacy notes and undertake a brief Question & Answer to appreciate the purpose of credit.
- Scroll down to view results then click Proceed.
- Click on loans then select undergraduate loans to get the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Follow each step to fill in the required details and submit
- A pop-up message will appear to show that you have successfully applied
- The loan serial number will also be displayed
- Students that are not Safaricom subscribers will be directed to the Portal and apply using the application form
- You required to print and submit the form to the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1 Floor at Anniversary Towers or Huduma centres
NB: You will be required to pay Kshs. 1 from your MPESA account during the application process to verify your telephone number.
Please note, students that are Safaricom subscribers’ applications is paperless hence no printing.
The following are Huduma centers nearest to you
- Nairobi GPO
- Nandi Narok
- Taita Taveta
- West Pokot
HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine
The following are Student Service Centre on Mezzanine centers nearest to you
- Anniversary Towers
- University Way
HELB Contact Information
Operating Hours: 8.00 am – 5.00 pm